Good Decisions--Running Well

Good decisions and good results are very different things. You can make good decisions and get bad results (like getting your money in with the best hand and someone drawing out on you). You can also make bad decisions and get good results (when you suck out on someone else!). It is important to pay attention to your results. But it is more important to examine your decisions, regardless of the result.

In my last 6 sit 'n go tournaments I have cashed 5 times (ya baby!). On the one that I didn't cash, I was knocked out on the bubble during a coin-toss situation (bad result). However, the key is to evaluate the decision, not the result.

I was the short stack with 66 on the button. The big stack limped from UTG. I had observed him fold his limp to a raise (more than once), and he wasn't playing tricky (no concern about being trapped). So I was pretty sure he wouldn't call a push here. I ignored his limp and looked at this as an ICM problem. It is a +EV situation, so I pushed. And as expected, the big stack folded. However, the small blind called (maybe that is why the big stack folded?!!!). He caught a larger pair on the turn to beat my hand.


Click here to view a larger version

But again, it isn't about the result. I want to make sure the decision I made was correct. Using SNGEGT-GT, a push with 66 in this position is positive EV (again, ignoring the limp from the big stack). So I believe the decision was correct.


To double-check, I also ran the numbers in SNG Wizard, the tool I use for post-game ICM evaluations. Again, removing the UTG limper from the variable, this was a positive EV push.


However, I think it is also good to evaluate the decision from your opponents perspective, so you can think about what you would do if the same situation. If they also made a good decision, than that's just poker!

Looking at calling from the small blind with JTo in this situation is a negative EV decision. Therefore, the small blind made a mistake with this call.


The end result, I made the correct decision and the small blind made a mistake. So regardless of the result, I am happy with how I played. The key is to continue evaluating situations to ensure you are making good decisions and to make the necessary adjustments when your decisions are less than ideal.

Questions and Comments Welcome!

Copyright 2007-2010 SitNGoTraining.com.
All rights reserved.