Avoid Turbos

A few days ago I received an e-mail from a person in Italy who has been following the basic strategy outlined in my course. He was frustrated because he was using all the tools and following the strategy closely, but he was not making any money. Over the last month he was about even. I asked him to send me some hand histories so I could review his game.

I went through the first tournament and other than a bad play on the hand he was knocked out on, he was playing very well. I gave him some feedback on the first tournament, then began to examine the second. It wasn't until the second that I realized he was playing turbo speed tournaments instead of normal speed tournaments. When I asked him about that he said he was advised by "another person" to play turbos because you can do more of them in the same amount of time.

I agree with that 100%... you can play more of them in the same amount of time. That does not mean you can generate more money playing them! The variance is actually higher on turbos than normal speed tournaments. However, that isn't the point. The bigger point is this... the strategy that I outlined on SitNGoTraining.com is not intended for turbo play. It is intended for normal speed play.

In addition, he was instructed by the other person to play multiple tables at the same time to increase his profit and decrease his variance. All things being equal, yes you can increase your hourly profit and decrease your hourly variance by doing this, IF you are a top notch player. For the rest of us, multi-tabling turbos greatly decreases the amount of attention we can give to the table and we have a much shorter amount of time to examine the situation and make solid decisions.

I advised him to make two changes. First, if he is going to follow my strategy, play normal speed sit 'n go tournaments. The strategy is designed very tight in the early stages. So you must play the slowest tournaments in order to see more hands before the critical short-stack and bubble stages. In addition, I advised him to play no more than 2 tables until his ROI is consistently above 15% for 100 games (which is appropriate for the buy-in he is playing). Once he meets the ROI requirements, than he can either move up in stakes, or add more tables.

He made the change immediately and reported back that over his next 10 games he has cashed 7 times (for an ROI of 105%) and that two of the knock-outs were when he got all-in with AA and his opponent sucked out on him. Sign me up for some of those results!!! I realize the sample is too small (even 100 games is a small sample), but he made the appropriate adjustment and is reaping the reward. Good for him.

The strategy works, as long as you play the appropriate tournaments and make good decisions. You can't do that if you are multi-tabling 8 tables on turbos. At least, most people can't. And if you are one of the few that can, then you don't need my strategy!

Note: In the advanced lessons I will teach you how to identify multi-tablers and how to exploit their tendencies!
Questions and Comments Welcome!

Copyright 2007-2010 SitNGoTraining.com.
All rights reserved.