Collusion?

I witnessed some very suspicious play on a $10 sit 'n go this evening. The first hand that seemed strange to me was between RogerFox and KChong.

We're on the bubble. The blinds were 250/500. RogerFox had about 2500 in chips and was the BB. KChong had about 4600 and was on the button. KChong called the blind for 500, the SB folded, and RogerFox min-raised to 1000. KChong folded. It seemed strange that he wouldn't call a min-raise as the chip leader in position. But I passed this off as tight play.

Two hands later KChong is on the BB and RogerFox is on the button. After posting the blinds, KChong has about 500 more than RogerFox in chips. UTG folded and RogerFox called 500. I folded in the SB and KChong checked. The flop comes A65. KChong checks, as does RogerFox. The turn is a Q. They both check. The river is a Q. They both check. KChong turns over A7 (he flopped a pair of aces) and RogerFox turns over KQ (he had trips by the river). Yet neither of them bet? Now I started to get suspicious.

One of the neat features of Sharkscope.com is the ability to compare stats between two players. The purpose is to help you identify collusion. The report will show you their ROI playing together and their ROI apart. Here is the report for these two:


There are so many players at the $10 level that it is unusual to play against the same players twice. However, if you examine the numbers on the report, KChong has only played 10 sit 'n go's. And of the 10, he has played at the same table as RogerFox 5 times. That is 50%! Also note that when they have played apart their combined average ROI is -55%. However, when they are at the same table their combined ROI is 47%. Amazing how RogerFox's ROI skyrockets to 96% when KChong is sitting at the table. Coincidence? Maybe. I continued to watch their play.

Throughout the balance of the bubble, when one of them would raise, the other would fold. Not once did the two of them get into a confrontation. However, that isn't unusual on the bubble. Everyone is avoiding a confrontation! Right?

KChong ended up pushing with AQ and was called by the 4th player at the table, NiuHusky, who had 99. KChong sucked out and NiuHusky was knocked out (if anyone reading this knows NiuHusky, please send him a link to this post).

It is now me against the "alleged" colluders (is that a word?), which didn't really seem that fair. I only get two cards to work with and they get four! Oh well, I am up for the challenge!

KChong is now the chip leader with 6395. I am in second with 4680, and RogerFox has 2425. The first hand after the bubble RogerFox pushes. I push with A8s. KChong folds (which was a bad move if they were colluding). RogerFox turns over JT and my hand holds up. I go on to beat KChong heads-up to win the tournament.

I hope I am wrong about what I observed (and I apologise to KChong and RogerFox if that is the case). It is a shame that people have to cheat to win a poker, especially when a winning strategy is free for them to learn (shameless plug!). However, we all know it happens. The key is to watch closely to everything at the table. And if you suspect collusion, be sure to report it to the proper authorities, as I will do now.
Questions and Comments Welcome!

Copyright 2007-2010 SitNGoTraining.com.
All rights reserved.