Poker Stars “Double or Nothing” SNG Strategy

I have been playing a lot of the Double or Nothing (DN) sit n’ go (SNG) tournaments on PokerStars lately. If you are unfamiliar with the Double or Nothing format, basically half the players double their money (less the tournament fee) and the other half get nothing. For example, if you are playing a $10 DN SNG you pay $10 for the prize pool and $1 for the tournament fee for a total entry fee of $11. The SNG starts with a total of 10 players. The first five to get knocked out get nothing. The other 5 each get paid $20. So if you are one of the five that gets paid, you make $9 ($20 prize less $11 entry fee).

The Double or Nothing SNG’s differ from traditional single table SNG’s. In a traditional single table SNG only three of nine positions get paid. Third place receives 20% of the pool, second receives 30%, and first place receives 50%. In a traditional SNG, first place makes more than double that of third place. So it is in your best interest to shoot for first place. However, with the DN SNG’s, the last five players all receive the same amount of money. As a result, the strategy needed for playing DN SNG’s is very different than that of the traditional SNG’s. I am going to start documenting the differences on this blog and will eventually create a DN version of the SitNGoTraining.com.

Strategy Changes

Through the playing I have done so far I have not noticed any needed changes in the lessons on EV and M-Zone foundation; the same principles apply. In addition, the basic principles for calculating outs and odds do not change with the Double or Nothing SNG’s. I continue to use Tournament Indicator for EV, M-Zone, outs and odds, so no changes there. However, three factors change the strategy needed for pre-flop, post-flop, and bubble play: the blind structure, the six player bubble, and the payout structure. I will expand on both of these in future posts. Obviously, with the DN payout structure, there is no In The Money play and no Head-Up play, which I’m happy with!

To receive updates on my DN SNG play and strategy changes, subscribe in your reader or email. You can also receive notifications of new posts through Twitter.

Until next time, good luck at the tables!



Play Double or Nothing

2 comments:

  1. How is this going for you? I played on PokerStars last night. I guess they put $2.00 into my account when I signed up a few months back? I placed in a Double or Nothing 1+.15, then placed 3rd in a 9handed 1+.20 SNG. I did think the double or nothing was somewhat boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moses--thanks for the questions. It's going well. I am currently running around 44% ROI and about 80% ITM on the single table double or nothing tournaments. But my sample size is still small, so I expect those numbers to come down as I proceed. I would have to agree that the double or nothing sit n go isn't as much fun as the normal sit n go tournaments, because of the lack of post bubble play. However, so far the variance is lower on the double or nothing sit n go's than I've had on the standard single table sit n go's. Bottom line, I need many more games before I can make a decision on which is more profitable for me. Will keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Questions and Comments Welcome!

Copyright 2007-2010 SitNGoTraining.com.
All rights reserved.