Calling Shoves with Nothing

I am running very well on the "Double or Nothing" sit n go poker tournaments. As of last night, my ROI is 48.1 and my ITM is 81.8, much higher than I typically see with the traditional single table sit n go's, for a couple of reasons.

First, I am only single tabling. I typically multi-table when playing the traditional sit n go poker tournaments. However, I decided to single table while learning the Double or Nothing sit n go's so that I could concentrate on the differences and adjustments that I need to make in my sit no go poker strategy. As a result, I also pick up more information about my players and I am able to take advantage of that information in critical spots. I would typically miss some or most of this information when multi-tabling.

Second, I am playing at lower stakes than I usually play at. When developing a new strategy I typically drop down to lower stakes so that I am playing at the level that most of my readers play at. There isn't much sense for me to develop a strategy that only works when playing at the higher stakes. So right now I am playing the $10 and a few of the $5 Double or Nothing sit n go's while I work through the strategy details.

I am still seeing the same factors that affect the strategy: the blind structure, the six player bubble, and the payout structure. I will expand on these in my upcoming Double or Nothing Poker Strategy document.

For now, I wanted to review one of my hands from last night.

One thing that drives me nuts is playing with a big stack that doesn't know how to use it, especially on the bubble. During one of my games last night, one of the players tripled up early and then shut down. I guess this could be a good strategy for someone that doesn't know how to play. But my preference is to use my big stack to steal the blinds and to call small shoves. Here's an example from one of the hands from last night.

PokerStars.com Double or Nothing, on the bubble, blinds are 100/200 with a 20 ante. I am on the BB with the second largest stack.



The BTN just lost a coin flip to the CO and is now the short stack at the table. If the action is folded around to the BTN, proper strategy is for him to shove with almost any two cards. And for the SB and the BB (me), proper strategy is for us to call to try to knock him out (because this is a double or nothing and we are on the bubble). Neither of us can be hurt by his stack and by both of us calling we double the changes of knocking him out and getting in the money. OK, here we go...

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero's M: 8.73 (Learn about M-Zone)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10♣, 7♠
3 folds, Button bets t525 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t325

As I mentioned above, if the action is folded around to the short stack, correct strategy is for the short stack to shove with almost any two cards. And correct strategy is for the two big stacks to call. But as you can see, the big stack makes a mistake and folds. Regardless, I do the right thing and call, knowing that with my hand I am probably behind and will need to suck out.

Flop: (t1270) Q♣, 5♦, K♣ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t1270) Q♠ (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t1270) 4♠ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t1270

Results:

Button had 4♥, A♣ (two pair, Queens and fours).

Hero had 10♣, 7♠ (one pair, Queens).

Outcome: Button won t1270

OK, so I lost the hand (were you expecting a different result?)! The purpose of this post isn't to show you a winning hand but instead to show you a winning strategy. Poker is about making the right decisions. You have no control over the results once you push your chips in. But you do have control over the decision you make. In a situation like this, when on the bubble and you have an opportunity to call a shove that won't hurt you (because of your much larger stack size), you should be calling with almost any two cards.

That's it for now. To receive updates on my play and strategy, subscribe in your reader or email. You can also receive notifications of new posts through Twitter or Facebook.

(Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Questions and Comments Welcome!

Copyright 2007-2010 SitNGoTraining.com.
All rights reserved.